Tuesday, March 08, 2011

International Women's Day: Supporting women of the Central African Republic


After taking out a loan, Fatou Ali started a small business selling rice, corn flour and sugar after her husband’s garage business failed. Now she earns enough to feed her children and send them to school. “When my husband’s business failed, I tried to start a business with the little money we had left, but it didn't work because I lacked the capital I needed. I received a loan that has allowed me to trade and today I can support my family by providing food for our table, schooling for the children, and we’re able to pay for their healthcare and clothing. This experience has given me the courage to speak with other women and encourage them to discuss their business ideas too"
Photograph: Jenny Bussey Vaughan/Mercy Corps
The Guardian

No comments: